June 03, 2006

Mandatory Poll

I finished Uncle Tom's Cabin this week, and I liked it somewhat. My two complaints were (a) that it had too many stereotypes (e.g. extremely polite Kentuckians, stiff and grim New Englanders, and honest, kind, loving, good-natured, sensitive, passionate African-Americans) and (b) that too many bad things happened to poor Uncle Tom.

Now that I'm done with that book, I am looking for some other book to fill up my free vacation time. I'm not sure how much time I'll have now that the Holschers are here(!!!!!), but I'd still like to get something else to fill up any free time I do have.

Here's were you come in. As payment for the wonderful services my blog has to offer, you MUST participate in the poll below. It's quite simple. Just pick a book you think I should read and click "VOTE"!!! You can do it!!!

What book should I read next?
An Agatha Christie novel
Animal Farm
Sense and Sensibility
The Lord of the Rings
Miss Buncle's Book
Around the World In Eighty Days
The Prince and the Pauper
Other
  
Pollhost.com

Note: If you can't vote because someone else already did using the same computer, just wait until the next day or later and it should work.

11 comments:

Aaron said...

Umm, if you choose "other", please specify through the comments page what "other" you mean. Otherwise it means nothing to me. : )

Aaron said...

By the way, I've been getting more visits to my blog than votes - and the visits aren't all from the same person. SOME PEOPLE AREN'T PAYING THEIR DUES!!!!!!!! >: (

wideyed said...

I chose 'other'. I think you should read The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Besides getting into a lot of stuff that the movie never even covered, it is also a Very Funny Book, that is a Must Read if you liked the movie.


But if you didn't like the movie...

drewey fern said...

If you didn't like the movie, I am boycotting your blog (hee hee hee)! No actually, I couldn't leave my opinion as a mere anonymous vote - I had to back it up with more persuasive argumentation!

Agatha Christie is the perfect vacation read - not too deep to be un-restful, but deep enough to really intrigue you. I especially enjoyed "Murder on the Orient Express" last summer, if you haven't read that one.

Also, we're reading a play by her in my 7th and 8th grade class: "Appointment with Death." It's another intriguing one, but I don't know if it's in regular novel form or not.

Have fun reading!

Aaron said...

Don't worry! I love the movie Princess Bride! And, as a matter of fact, Cara has been reading the book aloud to the Holschers! But I don't think I'll do that now.

I agree that Agatha Christie is a good vacation read. I read "A Murder is Announced" last year at the Cape, and I enjoyed it a lot. I've already read the "Murder on the Orient Express" several times, and it's one of my favorites.

I haven't made any executive decision yet on what I'll read, but so far I've had no time to read anyway, and that may last throughout the rest of vacation. I should have done this post last week! Oh, well. Thanks for your input everyone. I think I will read LOTR next if I don't read anything before I get home, but otherwise we'll have to wait and see. Keep giving votes! I am easily influenced.

Cara said...

Read War and Peace!

Booker said...

I recommend Persuasion by Jane Austen.

and why did you delete your comment from my blog?

Unknown said...

I, being a mystery lover of course, recommended an Agatha Christie, especially a few Miss Marples'."The Mirror Crack'd" was a good one, or "What Mrs. Magillicudy saw!" That one is really gruesome. All of the other Miss Marple mysteries, I never did finish, because they were too graphic or questionable.

Unknown said...

Wait, did you say you're easily influenced? Hmmmm....interesting...
;D

TripleNine said...

Since people are specify which A.C. book you should read, my second vote would definitely go for 'Ten Little Indians' (it might also be called 'And Then There Were None)

And I totally agree with your earlier title about non-commentors.

Cara said...

I've read And Then There Were None (Ten Little Indians) twice. Morbid but fascinating story.