July 09, 2006

A Wealth of Knowledge

I am not sure why I picked this title. It just came to my mind while I was lying on my bed thinking of what I should type into my wireless keyboard. It's not that I had anything particular to say; I just felt a great and mysterious urge to once more cry to the world "Aaron is here!!" or something like that.

Ahem.

Disclaimer: I am rather tired.

I have been enjoying the Lord of the Rings. I have continued to follow the list of books from my poll a month or so ago, and I am now halfway through The Two Towers. It is a bit strange reading the books with so clear a picture of the corresponding movies in my head. I think I have most enjoyed the parts in the books that were completely omitted from the films, because I am neither completely prepared for those parts nor disappointed by the change. Then again, I have come across several places where the book has a much better plot - to my mind at least - than its theatrical counterpart.

Probably the only part in the book that has slightly disappointed me has been Helm's Deep. The terrific battle scene in the movie - the orcs are slowly but surely gaining ground; the walls are crumbling before Saruman's great devices, and his many soldiers are pouring into the great fortress; the people are losing heart, and there seems no hope left; but then....the dawn breaks! and the king gathers his courage and rides forth with his strongest men into battle with the great horn blasting its call; no orc, uruk, or other foe can stand before them at the charge, but the men are just beginning to grow weary...when Gandalf the White appears at the top of the hill. He and Eomer lead the Rohirrim down to a great and inpiring victory against the teeming masses of evil, and those of the T.M. of E. that live flee into a strange forest, never to be seen again. - THAT is my favorite scene in all of the three movies, and it was quite different in the book. I won't bother naming the differences, but they were enough that I was just a bit disappointed. Nevertheless, I think I am enjoying the book more than the movie overall.

And now, no more knowledge that I wish to share is jumping to mind, and the clock is ticking steadily. I have not been feeling 100% well for over a week now, and I think a good rest would do me much good. Would that I had the energy and quickness to produce a fortune of knowledge instead of just a wealth! Still, life must go on. I bid you adieu.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

In case you thought I copied the "Ahem" of your current post in my last post, which was written on the same day as yours, I DIDN'T. I made that up all by myself, and if you don't believe me, check the exact times at which both posts were composed. Thank you.

Unknown said...

I apologize for the last comment. It was really childish of me, and it was silly of me to mention it. (Although I am sincere in this apology, my mom read my comment and thought I was way too harsh.) It wasn't meant to sound so mean...but...okay, I am probably spending way too much time over this...yet my education in etiquette and niceties continues........;)

Unknown said...

Oh, and I also love that part. It's one of my favorite scenes as well...the other ones are when Eowyn kills the Witch King, when the Rohirrim appear on the horizon at Minas Tirith, when Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli jump out of the boat and all of the dead men of the mountain swarm out with them.