January 26, 2005

Operation Wisdom Extraction Successful

My four wisdom teeth are out of my mouth once and for all. I went to the oral surgeon's office yesterday morning. The surgeon gave me a shot in the arm, saying I would go unconscious quickly, and that is the last thing I remember until after the operation. I remember waking up, but it is like remembering a dream I had the night before: foggy, with unclear details. I do remember that I thought I would quote my dad's famous line from when he had his wisdom teeth out--"I'm sharp as a cucumber,"--and I did. The nurse helped me to the car, and I could see double of everthing. The cars on the highway looked as if they were plowing through the snowbanks that lined the highway. Mama bought me a chocolate milkshake at Wendy's, and soon I was seeing normally again. I have had to take a lot of medication, but the pain has not been bad. I took Vicodin last night, but it only seemed to keep me from falling asleep for a while. I am not allowed to sleep lying down, but with the help of five or six pillows, I was able to be quite comfortable. I have had a lot of delicious treats yesterday and today. I have had ice cream, yogurt, and custard, but the best food I ate these past two days was milk toast. Mama put raspberry jam and sour cream on a piece of buttered toast and soaked the dish in warm milk. That tasted so good I could eat it any time, hungry or not! My cheeks are quite puffy today, despite the intermittent ice packs I have to hold to them. I will be glad when they are replaced tomorrow with heat pads. Ahhhhh...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am very glad that you had your wisdom teeth out safely. I really hope you will be feeling better soon. It must be nice not to have school, and to have treats like what you described!
Melody