August 01, 2006

A Written Post

As I was looking over my recent posts, I just realized that I have not posted anything that I wrote in quite some time. In addition, the last one was a joke, created exclusively to test the limits of others' gullibility. (As well as the limits of my own creativity and research ability; I think I did more concentrated research for that post than for my research report.)

Speaking of research reports, I never finished the one I was supposed to last year, and I have been working on it this summer. I was never able to decide on a topic, so Mama assigned one to me: Atlantis. Some of you may have thought Atlantis was just a myth with no basis in history. Well, I have news for you: you might be right, and you are not alone. However, there are many who hold firm beliefs to the contrary. I have been pretty amazed by the number of theories people have come up with for the location of the legendary lost civilization. The most common theory I have come across is that the Atlantean civilization is the same as the Minoan, and that Atlantis was destroyed by a volcano. Some believe that it was located on some other Mediterranean island such as Malta or Cyprus, or that it was Greece itself. Still others believe - with great confidence, by the way - that Atlantis was on a now-destroyed Atlantic continent, South America, Antarctica, the North Sea (now submerged), Carribean islands, Indonesia, Palestine, outer space, or a former continent in the Indian Ocean (a continent which was smashed by a collision between the earth and one of its two moons, only one of which still remains). Interesting, huh?

Here I was going to jokingly say that I thought Atlantis was REALLY in some bizarre, ridiculous, exotic place, but all the most ridiculous have already been taken. Too bad for me.

Note to the masses:
By the way, I am still missing my digital camera, last seen on the morning I left for the family convention. I cannot guarantee it is at Fairwood, but I can't find it at home. So in case you do see it at Fairwood, it is a 6.0 mp Casio Exilim EX-Z110. Thanks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Outer space?! Smashed by a collision between the earth and one of its two moons, which left the moon we now have?! With great confidence?!?!?

Is there any evidence that Atlantis actually existed? I haven't read much about it, and want to know.