August 19, 2007

Someone get a senator on the line, quick!

Washington ought to pass a law against poorly manufactured technology. It causes so much hassle.

On the night of Saturday, August 11, I purchased myself a brand new desktop computer: a Compaq Presario with 2GB of RAM, a DVD-RW DL drive, 250GB of hard drive space, and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ dual core processor, for those who understand such specifications. It also came with a 19-inch LCD monitor and a printer, and it runs Windows Vista Premium. I like it very much.

Don't worry: I plan to clean my desk this week!!!

As I was adding some of my music to this wonderful new piece of technological equipment Friday morning, I was surprised by the computer crashing.

"That's odd," I thought to myself. "Brand new computers with Windows Vista and such fancy specifications as this computer has are not SUPPOSED to crash, at least not before they've been purchased a full week."

I restarted and continued with my work - at least, I tried to. It was not fifteen minutes before the computer crashed again. In fact, it continued to crash every five to fifteen minutes for the next hour while I ran diagnostic tests of every variety (Compaq desktops with Vista have a LOT of diagnostic programs). Well, I was running a test on the memory in my computer when suddenly - pffft. The whole machine breathed what appeared to be its last and lay lifeless on my desk. No matter how many times I tried to resuscitate it with the power button, all my efforts could elicit were a few mournful beeps. I was sad.

I called the computer hospital (a.k.a. HP support) and explained the situation. (Oh, another law should be keeping Spanish speakers from operating English support lines. I had to ask the support guy to repeat himself so many times that it was not even laughable.) To make a fairly long story short, he figured out that one of my memory cards was bad. I took the bad one out, and voila! The computer roared back to life, and all was well.

All, that is, except for that I now have to wait for a box to arrive; then I have to send my PC's bad memory away; then I have to wait for another box to arrive; then I have to put the new memory into my PC. THEN all will be well. But all this hassle could have been avoided if it were not for POORLY MANUFACTURED TECHNOLOGY!

Judd Gregg? John Sununu? I DEMAND a change!

Oh, and while you're at it, enact a Comprehensive Rebate Reform Bill, please. Thank you.

7 comments:

brilynne said...

Umm,I thought that Gregg and Sununu were no longer in office?

Sorry about your new pc.

Aaron said...

Bria! Did you really think I'd be THAT inaccurate with my facts? It's Bradley and Bass who are no longer on Capitol Hill. Our senators are still Republicans.

Aaron said...

By the way, in case I didn't make this clear enough in the post, my computer IS working fine with just one GB of RAM. A tiny bit slower perhaps, but I can use it and it doesn't crash.

Booker said...

I see 2 problems:

1: you voluntarily used Vista [one of the worst windows incarnations out there. at least, out of the box I mean. it should have been delayed EVEN longer so they could work EVEN more bugs out. as you can see, I'm a big vista fan].

2: you voluntarily used Vista ;-)

I like the idea of the Rebate Reform. I'd sign a petition for THAT!

Aaron said...

Well, DJ, a) it's very hard to find a good new computer with XP anymore and b) I have had almost no problems with Vista yet (once a driver conflict caused a restart, but Windows disabled the driver and I've had no Vista-related problems since). It was the HARDWARE that caused the crashing. But of course, everyone is entitled to his own opinion. :)

Lori said...

RYC,I regret to admit that I don't know who Hyman Kaplan is. But I was still glad to see a new commenter! :)

drewey fern said...

If my computer crashed I'm sure my reaction would be "That's odd." HA! Try something more like "AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! [wails, tears, and other non-phonetic expressions of grief/panic and then...] SHHAAAAAAAAAWWWWNNN!!!!"