January 18, 2007

Video: Ice Storm!

Well, folks, it finally looks a little bit like winter outside...and boy does it feel like winter, too! The temperature was 7° when I went to bed, and had risen only to 8° when I got up. If the ice isn't hard enough to skate on today, I'll eat my fur hat. (This is safe to say because I have no fur hats to eat. It is also safe because, after all, it was 7° last night, but I'm much too cautious to take even the smallest chance. It's part of my personality.)

The morning after the ice storm, Ryan and I went exploring a bit to see the results of the storm (besides that we had lost power), and they were fantastic! Every blade of grass was at least a half-inch thick with ice! Each pine tree looked like a giant wizard's hat, and saplings of every kind joined the birches in bowing to the ground. A glassy shimmer was visible in every direction.

Amazing as the surrounding beauty was, one of the best things about the storm, as far as Ryan and I were concerned, was the fact that our aunt's driveway was itself as smooth as glass. We had so much fun sliding on that little hill! I did wish that it could have been five times as long, but it's shortness was not enough to deter me or Ryan from having a blast!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That was great!!! The sliding part didn't play so great for me, but I could picture it pretty well. Very funny. :D Nice job!

drewey fern said...

Yay! What fun! I can't believe how thick the ice was on the branches. And I loved the little "ta-da" at the end:)

Susan Elizabeth said...

Cute! (Was that Cara singing?...heh heh...)

Photoguy said...

cool, that is a lot of ice, we only got a very thin glazing of it.