March 13, 2007

Che Bella Giornata!

...as we who are almost fluent in the Italian tongue are wont to spout on days such as this; for today was undeniably beautiful. Spring arriveth!

I enjoy a merciful amnesia throughout the winter months that permits me to enjoy the snow and the cold without actually realizing that I am simultaneously enduring them. Once I get a taste of spring, however, I look back on the months and realize that winter isn't so hot after all. The sunshine, the smell, the sounds of water and of birds - all these and more take the days of spring and set them in a different league from the days of the rest of the year.

Today was such a day. As I walked down to get the mail, it struck me that I had forgotten how much FUN it is to be outside and comfortable at the same time! I had to do school, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the great outdoors. On the contrary, I simply moved my classroom! (The joys of homeschooling...) I did most of Calculus outside, enjoying the relatively warm breezes, the cooing doves, the radiant sunshine, and the tinkling of the melted snow running into the gutters. I had a great perspective of all these things from my perch on the roof.

Yes, on the roof.

Kids, don't try this at home.




The skylight made a terrific table, but I must say whoever invented roofing shingles wasn't thinking about comfort. It's not bad on some roofs, I'm sure, but ours is a bit steep. Nevertheless, the fresh air and the view were nice while they lasted.



Now I'm off to cogitate on the symbolic role of the one female character in Call of the Wild...

6 comments:

brandywine said...

...almost fluent in the Italian tongue, are we, which, in my opinion, is arguably one of the most beautiful tongues in all of spoken languagedom? Nice.

And yes, winter amnesia is clearly one of God's more tender mercies.

Unknown said...

Molto bella giornata! Grazie, Aaronne! :)

"While it lasted", hahahaha...the slanted picture is most explanatory. ;)

These early spring days make me look forward eagerly to when the snow has completely melted, the treetops are a mist of fresh green, and it is too warm to wear a jacket. :)

Claire said...

You poor, poor souls. Winter has returned with a vengeance from what I hear. Whilst here, we already have flowering trees, budding leaves, and all manner of signs of spring...Come VISIT!

Linds said...

It was such fun to see you perched up on your roof. Being on the roof above the front door of the parsonage was my favorite hangout when our family lived there growing up. I haven't been out there in a long time, b/c I don't figure E & J would be all that thrilled with me teaching the kids how to climb out windows... :)

brilynne said...

I'm curious as to whether your mother knew you were up on the high side?

Aaron said...

She didn't know, but she didn't mind when I told her. :)