July 14, 2005

Insights on Divers Happenings in My Life

Well, folks, I guess I didn't have as many stories about the past few weeks as I thought I did. Or, if I did, I've forgotten most of them. It's back to good ol' blogging-about-the-present again, I guess. I'm kind of glad, although I don't get exciting stories like those below on a day-to-day basis. However, I needn't worry; if I can't remember the stories, they are sure to happen again: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
[George Santayana (1863 - 1952), The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905]

Today I drove a standard--again. I drove it a lot today, in fact. I went to the bank, the library, the dentist, Daddy's office twice, and to the grocery store. I guess you might say driving with a manual transmission is becoming my standard method of transportation. ;-) By the way, I only stalled four times the whole day (less than once per trip!) : once because I was accidentally starting in third, once because the emergency brake was on (oops), and twice *sigh* because I didn't give the engine enough RPM.

I made an apple crisp today. There's something about apple desserts--apple pie, apple crisp, apple cobbler, apple-cinnamon muffins--that simply cannot be matched by other treats. When I went to the grocery store (see above paragraph) it was to purchase the one treat that most deliciously complements almost any dessert: vanilla ice cream. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

I planted a maple tree the other day. Yes, I know, I'm copycatting Bria with her lemon trees; but I was out weeding our barkmulch and I came to this beautiful little maple shoot, and I said to myself, "Aaron, this tree needs a good home." We get buckets of chlorine tablets all the time for our pool, and I took one of the empty buckets and spray-painted it red. It's just the coolest thing. We'll see how the tree does in it. If it dies, I'll just settle for a spider plant.

You're probably wondering what all the above things have in common. The answer: they all involve me, and they all involve colors. (red bucket, white ice cream, black car, green tree...) That's pretty much all. Please pardon my lack of cohesiveness, and I hope you enjoyed this anyway.

2 comments:

Claire said...

First of all- I LOVE the use of the word "divers" in this context. It satisfies some weird, wordy thing in me.

Secondly, I agree about the whole apple thing. Simply superior.

Thirdly, I was totally boggled for a minute when you talked about spray painting the bucket red. The way you phrased it, it sounded as if you had spray painted a CHLORINE TABLET red and somehow planted a tree in it!

Aaron said...

Haha! Oh dear, that was rather poorly worded. I should proofread my posts a little better. (It's fixed now.)