September 03, 2006

Finale of the First Act of a Comical Operetta

I sometimes wonder if I have listened to or played The Mikado too many times. The many songs from that classic operetta have been going around in my head for days. But on further inspection of my thoughts, this is all I could recall of the finale of the first act, at least off the top of my head:

With aspect stern and gloomy stride
We come to learn how you decide.
Don’t hesitate your choice to name:
A dreadful fate you’ll suffer all the same;
A dreadful fate you’ll suffer all the same.

To ask you what you mean to do
We punctually appear.

Congratulate me, gentlemen,
I’ve found a volunteer!

The Japanese equivalent of “Here, here, here!”

‘Tis Nanki-Poo!

Hail Nanki-Poo!

I think he’ll do!

Yes, yes, he’ll do.

He gives his life if I’ll Yum-Yum surrender;
Now I adore that girl with passion tender,
And could not yield her with a ready will,
Or her allot
If I did not
Adore myself with passion tend’rer still,
With passion tend’rer still.

Ah, yes, he loves himself
With passion tend’rer still.

Take her: She’s yours!

The threatening cloud has past away!
And brightly shines the dawning day!
What though the night may come too soon…
We’ve yet a month of afternoon!

Then let our songs abound and every tear be dry!
And let none heave any sad or mournful cry!
Then let the throng our joy advance
With laughing song and merry dance;
Then let the throng our joy advance
With laughing song and merry dance;
With laughing song….

With joyous shout—with joyous shout and ringing cheer—
Inaugurate, inaugurate their brief career;
With joyous shout and ringing cheer
Inaugurate career.

As in a month you’ve got to die if Koko tells us true,
‘Twere empty compliment to cry ‘Long life to Nanki-Poo!’
But as one month you have to live as fellow citizen,
This toast in three times three we’ll give:
Long life…
Long life to you; Long life to you.
Long life to you…
Till then.

May all good fortune—all good fortune prosper you;
May you have health, may you have health and riches too;
May you succeed in all you do,
Long life to yooooooou…
Till then.

A day, a week, a month, a year...
[Second verse which I never sing ‘cause I don’t believe in turning pages backward.] ;)

Your revels cease!
Assist me, all of you!

Why, who is this whose evil rains
On our festivites?

I claim my perjured lover: Nanki-Poo!
Oh fool, to shun delights that never cloy!

Go leave thy deadly work undone!

Come back, O shallow fool, come back to joy!

Ah! ‘Tis Katisha: the maid of whom I told you!

No! You shall not go!
These arms shall thus enfold you!
O fool, to leave my hallowed joys.
O blind, that shows no equipoise.
O rash, blablabla,
O base, blablabla.
Give me my place, O rash, O base;
Thy heart unbind, O fool, O blind.
Give me my place, O rash, O base,
Thy heart unbind, O fool, O blind,
Thy heart unbind, Give me, give me my place.

If she’s thy bride, restore her place,
O fool, O blind, O rash, O base!

Pink cheek that rulest where wisdom serves;
Bright eye that covers heroic nerves!
Rose lip that scorneth long-laden years;
Smooth tongue that chasteneth who rightly hears!
Thy doom is nigh, Pink Cheek, Bright Eye!
Thy knell is rung, Rose lip, Smooth Tongue!
Thy doom is nigh, thy knell is rung,
Pink cheek, bright eye, rose lip, smooth tongue,
They doom is nigh! Thy knell, thy knell is rung!

If her tale’s true, thy knell is rung!
Pink cheek, bright eye, rose lip, smooth tongue.

Thy doom is nigh, thy knell is rung,
Thy knell, thy knell, thy knell is rung!

Away, nor prosecute your quest,
From our intentions well expressed,
You cannot turn us.
The state of your connubial views
Toward the person you accuse
Does not concern us…..
For he’s going to marry Yum-Yum!
Your anger pray bury
For all will be merry;
I think you had better succumb,
And join our expressions of glee.
On this subject I pray you’ll be dumb;
You’ll find there are many
Who’ll wed for a penny;
The word for your guidance is “mum.”
There are lots of good fish in the sea.

On this subject we pray you be dumb, dumb dumb,
We think you had better succumb, cumb cumb,
You’ll find there are many who’ll wed for a penny
Who’ll wed for a penny;
There are lots of good fish in the sea,
There are lots of good fish in the sea!
There’s lots of good fish, good fish in the sea,
There’s lots of good fish, good fish in the sea,
In the sea, in the sea, in the sea, in the sea.

The hour of gladness
Is dead and gone;
In silent sadness
I live alone.
The love I cherished
Has fled and gone;
All has perished,
All has perished,
Save love, which never dies,
Which never, never dies.
Oh, faithless one! This insult you shall rue!
In vain for mercy on your knees you’ll sue!
I’ll tear the mask from your disguising…

Now comes the blow…

Prepare yourselves for news surprising…

How foil my foe?

No minstrel he, despite bravado.

Ha! I know!

He is the son of your….

O ni shiku bakiru ni!

In vain you interrupt with this tornado.
He is the son of your…

O ni shiku bakiru ni!

Of your…

O ni shiku bakiru ni!

The son of your…

O ni shiku bakiru ni!

I’ll spoil…

O ni, o ni kiru!

Ye torrents roar,
Ye tempests howl.
Blablablablablablabla…
My vengeance call shall rise triumphant over all!

Away you go, ill-omened owl;
To joy we soar despite your scowl!
The echoes of our festival shall rise triumphant over all!

Prepare for woe, ye haughty lords;
Away I go, Mikado-wards.

Away you go, collect your hordes!
Proclaim your woes in dismal chords!

We do not heed their dismal sound
For joy reigns everywhere around!
We do not heed their dismal sound
For joy reigns everywhere around!
The echoes of our festival
Shall rise triumphant over all!
Our songs shall rise….
Our songs shall rise…
Shall rise triumphant over all!

My wrongs with vengeance shall be crowned!

We do not heed their dismal sound for joy rains every where around!


Side note: I kind of made up the Japanese part, but I think Sir Gilbert did too, so I should be OK. :)

7 comments:

Booker said...

fyi-Oni are demongods, lol...

Aaron said...

Well, maybe Sir William Gilbert didn't know that, because the real thing is "Oni! bikuri shakuri to!"

Unknown said...

Never seen the musical....not sure that I want to after those long quotes! Yikes!

Aaron said...

Don't let me deter you, Melody! It's a wonderful operetta with witty dialogue and fantastic music (although the plot is a bit, shall we say, interesting), and this is by far the longest song in the whole thing.

KJ said...

YOU ARE INSANE!!!! I definitely think, to use your words, you "have listened to or played The Mikado too many times." It just kept on goinnnngg, and goinnng, and goiinnngggg. Amazing, truly amazing!

Booker said...

The wiki seems to contain a handful of people with decent Japanese - I was wondering if you could assist me with some lines form GilbertAndSullivan?'s Mikado. Firstly,

"O ni! Bikkuri shakkuri to!" - which SF's link seems to imply has something to do with being surprised by hiccups.

and secondly, on greeting the Mikado, the entire chorus sings:

"Miya sama, miya sama,
On n'mma no mayé ni
Pira Pira suru no wa
Nan gia na
Toko tonyaré tonyaré na!" - punctuation and hyphenation (if any) may be wrong, as I'm reading this from the music score.

Thanks, ChrisHowlett

Mjb67's new attempt:

Miya-sama, miya-sama: O Prince, O Prince.
On-uma no mae ni : In front of great horse
Pira pira suru no wa: fluttering [faffing around]
Nan ja na? : Why are you doing that?
Tokoton yare -ton yare na!: Get on with it (on with it)!

This looks highly plausible from a Gilbertian point of view if the Japanese is reasonable --CH


As for "O ni! Bikkuri Shakkuri to!" this is sung to annoy someone, if Google tells the truth? (I've not seen the Mikado). Anyway, Bikkuri is surprise, and Shakkuri is hiccup. It's something like "You're surprised so much you hiccup!".
Context correct. Katisha is attempting to tell the chorus that Nanki-Poo is the son of their Mikado. To prevent this, Nanki-Poo and Yum-Yum convince the chorus to loudly sing "O ni! Bikkuri Shakkuri to!" over the intended word "Mikado".



My error-it is actually "O ni" :-)
the above is from the following link:
Here

Aaron said...

Thanks, Derrick!