September 05, 2006

So it begins....

Well,school is officially started here at Sand End. (Get it? Sand End? Haha! I kill myself! Hoho...ha...ahem....) I hardly feel like anything is different, though, because I've been doing Chemistry and Literature throughout the summer, and a number of my other subjects have yet to arrive. Call me a warm frog, but I haven't been able to dive into school with the same kind of enthusiasm as usual. Oh, well. Fortunately, I am now doing a part of Chemistry that I actually enjoy (Nuclear Reactions!), and Calculus has been pretty good. Literature started out great! I loved it! It was my favorite subject! And no, I haven't forgotten the rules of grammar; I am using the past tense on purpose. I think it's a conspiracy: the A Beka program starts out with "Early American Short Stories" - which are FANTASTIC! I even like reading Poe! - then jumps straight into "Early American Sermons."

Gulp.

Actually, the sermons section was not really that bad. I read "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" as well as the work of such others as Talmage, Billy Sunday, and James Weldon Johnson. They were both well-written and inspirational. But they just take soooo long to read! At least they do if you want to try to get anything out of them. Which I do.

Actually, I finished reading all the sermons by now, so I don't know why I'm even writing about them. Today I read selections from "A History of Plymouth Plantation," though, which is almost as bad time-consuming per page.

Speaking of school, does anyone remember/know how to do the geometry problem pictured at right? I can always look it up, but I thought I'd just let others do the work. :) (And no, it is not a problem from my next Calculus lesson.)

The leaves on the big maple by our pond are rapidly turning into a gorgeous crimson! Just thought you should know...

In other areas of my life, I spent much of my afternoon translating French! I enjoyed finding out how much I do remember (I took it in 6th grade through 8th grade, I think), as well as how learning Italian has actually improved my understanding of the conjugation of French verbs! Fascinating! If you would like to know WHY I was translating French all afternoon, you'll have to try to get Cara to blog about it. It's HER story. >:) I tried to get her to write about it tonight, but all she could think about was her new hairdo, not her mysterious African letter! So go inundate her with comments here and maybe you'll all have an interesting post to read. Not that her hair isn't interesting, but...

<--- Here is the HQ of the Sand End (hahaha...) Department of Information, Communication, and Academics. *cough* This was before Cara redid her coiffure... *cough*

6 comments:

Aaron said...

Never mind about the proof. I got so curious writing about it that I looked it up here, and it was much simpler than I thought. I had figured most of it out before, but I couldn't remember why the angle between segment a and the segment AD equalled that between segment c and segment CD. Math can be sooooo interesting when it isn't assigned! :)

Cara said...

Yeah, I'll have to write about that French translating sometime.

Susan Elizabeth said...

Math translated: ICK. I was never a math whiz. Good thing TacCom was. (is) Love to see the new hairdo, Cara! (see what your comment section has been reduced to, Aaron? A bunch of girls talking about hairstyles!...okay, maybe not a "bunch" of girls...but sometimes two girls can seem like a bunch!!...hows that for mathematical? ) Am I rambling? Sorry! So, what was the mystery behind the African letter?

Unknown said...

Heeheeheehee....although I must say, I need a new hairdo too, and I worry about my hair a LOT.

*said in a simpleton voice*>Ummmm, ab=cd because both are in a straight line? uhhhhhh...I don't know....

Booker said...

That pix does indeed look like a IT center. All you need are some armed guards and big beefy guys with sunglasses and security badges :-)

ljm said...

I love the little window into the SEDOICA.