October 14, 2006

We can't all excel at everything...

In absence of other ideas for what to post, I thought about promising to the next person on my list of blogs who posts that I would put up his picture on my blog as an award. Then I decided it might be a deterrent, and I'm not exactly sure I have a picture of every person whose blog I regularly read. By the way, if you're a girl and are upset that maybe I don't read any girls' blogs because I said "his picture on my blog...", read Grammar 101 or ask an English teacher.

This train of thought draws my mind instantly to the subject of Physics. Why? Because of the author of my Physics book, Dr. Jay Wile of AEM. He is a great teacher, to be sure, and knows much about science, but one sentence I read in Physics a week or two ago nearly drove me to the brink of insanity: "If someone drops two different objects of any size and weight from the same height in a vacuum, she will find that they land at the same time." SHE????? If he said "female person" instead of "someone" I could pardon the feminine pronoun, but, of course, he didn't. If he had said "he" I would have smiled; if he had said "he or she" I would have rolled my eyes; if he had said "they" I would have shaken my head; but since he said "she", my sense of justice to the English language was grieved. The only thing worse would be "it"! It is time Jay Wile was exposed for what he is: a brilliant teacher and scientist (as well as, according to his website, a pianist and actor) with a slightly incomplete grasp of grammar.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Right.

Susan Elizabeth said...

how about another music video...