December 05, 2006

Simply Amazingness

Did you know...you'd better not have known, or I'll be really disappointed. I feel like every time I tell someone something around here they've already heard it and say, with a disdainful flip of the hand, of course, "Oh, that! Aaron, that was news way back yesterday. You're so behind the times!"

Well, nobody's ever said quite that to me before, I must admit. But anyway, excuse my going off on a wild tangent...

By the way, a tangent has several definitions besides the one in which it was used above. For example, the tangent of an angle in a right triangle is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side which is not the hypotenuse. It is also a line that touches a curve at only one point.

Am I being incoherent?

OK, here's what I've been trying very hard to say this ENTIRE time:

As a teen, Fanny Crosby memorized Proverbs, Song of Solomon, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, many Psalms, and - here's the most amazing of all, at least as far as I'm concerned - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

Numbers! Deuteronomy! Oh... my... WORD! Talk about amazingly amazing! She knew all that by heart! And I thought I was pretty good when I memorized all the Epistles of Paul...

Ahem.

Here you must whistle, hum, or sing any song you can come up with about a grain of salt (or two or three). And then, just because it fits so well with both the topic and the season, sing the following of Fanny Crosby's hymns:

Carol, sweetly carol,
A Savior born today;
Bear the joyful tidings,
O, bear them far away:
Carol, sweetly carol,
Till earth's remotest bound
Shall hear the mighty chorus,
And echo back the sound.

Refrain:
Carol, sweetly carol,
Carol sweetly today;
Bear the joyful tidings,
O, bear them far away.

Carol, sweetly carol,
As when the angel throng
O'er the vales of Judah,
Awoke the heavenly song:
Carol, sweetly carol,
Goodwill and peace and love,
Glory in the highest
To God who reigns above.

Carol, sweetly carol,
The happy Christmas time;
Hark! the bells are pealing
Their merry, merry chime:
Carol, sweetly carol,
Ye shining ones above,
Sing in loudest numbers,
O sing redeeming love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting. The whole tangent thing, however, had me confused...However, don't let that disillusion you; I really am a fairly smart person. :)

Amy said...

Of course I knew!!! I've known about tangent having three definition for quite a while. I didn't know however, about Fanny Crosby, and your right that is amazing!!!! I don't think I could ever do that, I have a hard time just reading through Numbers and Deuteronomy, much less memorizing them!